Thursday, December 15, 2016

Create Together with Susan Opel


I have a SUPER fun Create Together guest today and a wild card to show for our collaboration! 

Do you know Susan R. Opel? I bet you do. She's a wonderful friend that is funny, smart and a creative force in the cardmaking industry. Susan is the Creative Ambassador for My Favorite Things and her work there reflects her love of the English language, her bold and fun style, and her sense of humour and sparkling personality.  You can also check her out on Instagram here.

Our challenge was to watch the  2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show and create a card based on inspiration from it. It was my first time watching and it did not disappoint! Amazing fashion, super-star performances from Lady Gaga and more, and THOSE ANGEL WINGS. Woah. I loved the different segments the show was divided into and diligently took notes as I watched.


I took my inspiration from the first segment of the show, The Road Ahead, which was meant to represent multiculturalism and incorporate designs from around the world. Bright colours, texture and fringe, paired with sparkle and metallic elements all shone through and I tried to bring those elements into my card, while still keeping my signature fun and simplistic style.

I used the Die-namics Mini Fringe die to cut several colours of cardstock (Blu Raspberry, Electric Red, Gumdrop Green, Purple Rain, Daffodil and Ripe Raspberry) and layered them on my card base. The Die-namics Big Hello die was cut from Black Licorice cardstock and after adhering it I added some serious sparkle with a Wink of Stella marker and a very thin coat of Glossy Accents. The final touch was a thin strip of Silver Sparkle cardstock.  Check out my Instagram feed later today for another card created based on inspiration from the show.

I'm going to turn it over to Susan now. Below you will find her card and description of how she was inspired. Prepare to be amazed!! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is always one of my very favorite events in early December. It is downright fabulous and quite the fast-paced and eye-popping spectacle. This year did not disappoint! I kept saying, “I don’t have enough eyes to see everything!” The show was originally broadcast on CBS on Monday, December 5th.

With all of the colors and themes and textures, it’s a go-to for my card making inspiration. You can see all of the looks by following this link HERE.

I was particularly inspired by the first of the six themes in the runway show, The Road Ahead. This image is an idea of where I found my inspiration — tassels, bold and saturated colors (especially bright blue), and strips of color. Truth be told, the entire The Road Ahead theme inspired my card.


For my card I used products from My Favorite Things almost exclusively. Imagine that!

I chose saturated hues and used the Striped Sentiment Strip Cover-Up Die-namics to inlay four colors of card stock. Tassels were a HUGE part of the entire show, so I used the Mini Fringe Die-namics from My Favorite Things to die cut fringe, and then I rolled it into a tassel. The strings of the tassels were created by braiding embroidery floss in a coordinating red.


The tassels were long, embellished, and exaggerated in appearance in the fashion show, so I added card stock circles covered in Diamond Glaze to continue the color scheme and gold sequins surrounding the tassels for extra out-there-ness.

To finish it off, I heat embossed the sentiment from the Whimsical Greetings stamp set in gold for an added touch of luxury and die cut it with the brand new Stitched Sentiment Strips Die-namics.

I had a blast creating together with one of my favourite Canadian crafters!
Thanks for the invite, Marcie!

Supplies
Stamp set: Whimsical Greetings from My Favorite Things
Card stock: Blu Raspberry, Electric Red, Fuse Green, Gold Shine, and Lush Lagoon from My Favorite Things
Ink: Versamark
Other: Diamond glaze, embroidery floss, glitter tape from American Crafts, and gold sequins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't that amazing?! I just LOVE Susan's card and we picked the SAME inspiration to work with. We rock. :) Thanks Susan for creating with me this week. I had lots of fun and it really put some pep into my crafty mojo.

2 comments:

  1. Marcie Sharp fan here! So fun to do this with you. And now you'll watch the fashion show every year!

    I absolutely LOVE that we chose the same inspiration photo and some of the same products as well. I think our cards would look pretty awesome side by side in a magazine or something. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOTH cards are absolutely, AWESOME!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love!